The Recruitment Office Game
Stop yawning your way through the afternoon. You’re not going to recruit anyone like that! Get the team together and have a little fun on the phones. This is The Recruitment Office Game. A sure fire way to get pumped up for work (or destroy friendships). It’s not like you guys are competitive or anything. Good luck, you’re going to need it!
Here’s how to play…
- Tear paper into 11 identical squares
- Write numbers 1-11 on paper
- Place them in a hat
- Take it in turns to pull out a piece
- Whatever number you select is your challenge for the day
- Find the full list of challenges below
We know what you animals are like, we need to lay down a few rules. Rule breakers are to be expelled from all social events for the next month.
- Every member of the team must play
- Client calls, meetings, interview feedback and closing candidates should not be included in the game
- Anyone who neglects their challenge faces a forfeit
- Challenges should be played until the working day is over
- No cheating!
The number you pull out of the hat corresponds to the challenges below.
#1: Movie Star Sales Call
If you pull number 1 out of the hat, you have to include one of these famous movie quotes in every call you make today:
- “You can’t handle the truth!”
- “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse”
- “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”
- “May the force be with you”
- “You talking to me?”
- “I love the smell of napalm in the morning”
- “Show me the money!”
- “You’re gonna need a bigger boat”
- “I’m kind of a big deal”
#2: The Thief
If you get number 2, you have to steal as many items from your colleagues’ desks as you can without being caught. If someone catches you, do a forfeit.
#3: Straight Faced
This is a tough one. If you get number 3, you’ve got to remain straight faced all day. No laughing whatsoever – it’s the responsibility of everyone else to make this as difficult as possible.
#4: The Troll
The person who gets this challenge has to become the workplace troll. You have to get as many people as possible to undertake unreasonable requests. Our personal favourite is getting the trainee to search for and download the left handed version of Microsoft Word. The longer your victim spends hunting for the answer, the better.
#5: Football Clichés
Good luck if you’re not a football fan! If you get number 5, you have to fit as many football clichés into your sales call as possible. Here are a few vital ones to remember:
- “It’s a game of two halves”
- “At the end of the day”
- “Back of the net”
- “Schoolboy error”
- “It’s a must-win game”
- “At least make the keeper work”
- “Fergie time”
- “Corridor of uncertainty”
- “I’ve seen them given…”
- “On his day, he’s unplayable”
- “You’ve got to be hitting the target”
- “It’s still early doors…”
- “Unbelievable Jeff!”
#6: Talk in an Accent
If you choose number 6, your team picks an accent which you must talk in for the rest of the day.
#7: Compulsive Liar
For the day, you’ve got to lie to everyone you speak to about the most outrageous topics you can think about. Don’t get caught out though – if someone suspects you’re lying, do a forfeit.
#8: Stand Up, Look Sharp!
If you pick out number 8, you’re not allowed to sit out when you’re on the phones. If someone catches you sitting while on the phone, complete a forfeit.
#9: Poster Fever
Got access to the office printer? Choose a theme e.g. Glastonbury Festival. It’s now your mission to slyly post as many pictures of that theme around the office as you can without being caught. It’s up to the rest of the team to guess what theme you chose. Extra points for saving pictures on your colleagues’ desktop backgrounds without them noticing.
If you get this mini-game, you take control. Whenever you shout ‘grenade’, everyone in the office must stop what they’re doing and dive to the floor.
#11: Sir, Yes Sir
If you get stuck with this challenge, you can’t say no all day. It’s the responsibility of the team to make you do the most ridiculous tasks imaginable. Drop and give me twenty!
Is Someone Keeping Score?
Right, so it’s pretty easy for these games to distract you. To keep you on-track, we’re adding another competitive edge. Create a scorecard for yourself, you get points for the following:
- 10 genuine leads (5 points)
- Candidate CV submitted to a client (5 points)
- Interview booked (10 points)
- Gained a new vacancy (10 points)
- Successful placement (30 points)
- Candidate dropout (-15 points)
- Client meeting booked (10 points)
- Successfully completing your challenge listed above (50 points)
- Had to do a forfeit (-5 points)
Okay, so we need a few forfeits for the weaklings who can’t complete their challenges. Feel free to make your own up – just be sure they’re adequately cruel:
- Banished from all social events from the next month
- Must turn up to work in fancy dress
- Must refer to yourself as ‘the OG’ in all future correspondence with the Director
- Surrender your social media passwords to your colleagues for the rest of the day
- Be the sole tea/coffee maker for the next week
- Buy everyone in the office a drink after work
- Bring in cakes for everyone tomorrow
Company culture is hugely important to all recruiters. If you feel like you’re not a great fit for your current agency, we can help. Get in touch today, tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll find the ideal agency for you. Browse our job boards here to get an idea of what we have on offer.