Live Jobs



Apply Now

Register with RULE today
One of our team will help you

Apply Now - Register with RULE today

 
Publishing Manager (Sales/Business Development focused)

Location: London

Salary: £35K Basic + Commission

Contact: Callum Baines


A rare opportunity to join one of the world’s leading publishing/news business has arisen. They are looking for a Publishing Manager to work across a large part of their portfolio

The Company:

This business has a “freesheet” publishing model, i.e. given away to the audience without a cover price and subsequently, they are 100% dependent on advertising and sponsorship revenue. Unlike most other “freesheets” however, they don’t use street distribution (tube and train stations) or retail outlets to distribute publications.

Instead, they pay broadsheets a fee to print and distribute it. Some of that fee is the cost of paper; some of it is profit. Profit is made by keeping 100% of the commercial revenue on each report, less the costs (print, editing, images, design and journalists).

Unlike most other media companies, this client doesn’t have a separation between the “creators” and the “revenue generators”. Instead, Publishing Managers are tasked with the responsibility of doing both.  The reason they are structured in this way, aside from being a very interesting and varied job, is that it gives “revenue generators” 100% product knowledge, which leads to marketplace credibility.

The Role as Publishing Manager:

Publishing Managers are tasked with creating 5 different commercial reports per 12 months.

When you start you will receive 2 weeks of comprehensive training from the Managing Director, Head of Publishing, Head of Marketing, Production Manager, Head of Digital and Head of Custom Publishing. This training will encompass about 30 different training modules, covering everything you need in order to succeed in the job. There is a particular focus on understanding marketing, premium publishing values and performance in sales and business development.

Realistically, you will spend 80% of your time working on the commercial side of your report, as this is the most challenging aspect of the job. However, the other 20% of the role is split between researching a topic and then project managing the editorial production once your report is financed (commissioning and briefing journalists and designers). Of course, those who excel on the sales side have more time to dedicate to the creative side of the role.

The Package as Publishing Manager:

The “average” Publishing Manager can expect to earn a minimum of £14,000 in addition to their basic salary of £35,000 (plus every report which a publisher makes over the target will raise their basic salary by £1k aiming to raise their basic to £40,000 over the course of the year). High performers can expect to earn £70,000+ in their first year.

Second-year Publishing Managers are typically promoted to “Lead Publishers” which means an increase in basic salary of an additional £6,000.

The Candidate:

Previous sales experience is desired but not a pre-requisite, however, 18 months + commercial experience is necessary.

After an initial training/shadowing period, you will be expected to work off your own back and be highly motivated, therefore you must be a self-starter.

Whilst everyone in the team is different, the following characteristics make for great publishers:
– Credibility and authority: you must be able to influence people who will be more senior than you.
– Resilience and bravery: you must be able to get a job done irrespective of the challenge.
– Intelligence: you must be able to grasp business concepts quickly.
– Self-motivated and self-disciplined: you should be able to work independently, setting yourself short term goals and executing them.
– Personality: you’ve got to have one, and be able to flaunt it!

 

RULE Recruitment is here to support you through the process & prepare you for interview. Realise your potential with RULE!

Finally, to keep up to date with all things RULE,  Connect with us on LinkedIn!

You RULE - CV Submission Page

 

Apply for this job

Please enter your details and upload your CV (Format: Pdf/Doc, Max size 2MB)

  • Accepted file types: pdf, doc, docx.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.